Friday, June 12, 2009

The Ride is Here!

Yikes, where does the time go? I thought I'd have so much time to post many more messages, but alas, life seems to get in the way sometimes.

I am feeling like I haven't trained enough for this weekend's ride, but then again, I don't think you can ever feel like you've trained enough. And that's okay....a little nervous energy can be a good thing because it makes me stay aware of how I'm feeling and focus on pacing and stretching and all those important things that I tend not to do if I'm feeling too confident.


I'd done the AIDS Ride several years in a row (1999-2001) and those rides truly changed my life, mostly because of the amazing people I spent those hours with riding through cornfields. So I'm looking forward to a great time with you amazing people.


My final nutrition tip may seem simple, but it really does help me:
Listen to your body.

Don't ignore those signs telling you to slow down, to rest a little longer at a rest stop, to stop the bike and stretch when a muscle is telling you to....just being aware of how you are feeling can
be a huge step in having a great ride.

Ending with a photo of me with my Dad (taken a few hours after I completed the AIDS Ride from Minneapolis to Chicago in 2000). My Dad died in early 2008, but today (June 12th) would have been his 69th birthday. He was always my biggest cheerleader, as evidenced in this photo. He specifically chose to wear that Homer Simpson "WOO HOO" t-shirt that day as a visual congratulations to all the cyclists completing the AIDS Ride. So, he will be in my mind this weekend and I know his "WOO HOO" spirit will be shining on all of us on our ride.

Ride on!
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment